A note from Ruffwear President, Will Blount, on the greater impact that Ruffwear is able to make, through growth as a company.
Most of us desire to be a part of something greater than ourselves. At Ruffwear this desire is reflected in our mission statement: “To build performance product to enhance and inspire outdoor adventures for dogs and their human companions”. It’s this mission that compels us to maintain a personal integrity and authenticity in all our endeavors. It challenges us to serve a purpose greater than ourselves.
While making money is an essential ingredient to our long-term success, it’s not what drives our behavior. What inspires us to wake up early and stay up late is the opportunity to do purposeful work, the chance to do something that serves our team members, our customers, and our broader community.
At Ruffwear, we strive to combine the best attributes of risk taking, innovation, creativity, and growth with a mindful focus on conservation and sustainability. These principles help guide our decisions and invite us to consider the whole business ecosystem, hopefully creating value for more than just our bottom line.
During the course of our company’s 21 years of business, Ruffwear has grown through the support of our passionate and loyal customers. Today, Ruffwear enjoys a much wider audience, and with the help of our customers, employees, and partners we’re making a bigger impact by giving back to our local economy, the environment, and dog related causes.
Our growth has allowed us to continually increase our ability to do good:
- We support The Conservation Alliance, a non-profit whose mission is to engage businesses to fund and partner with organizations to protect wild places for their habitat and recreation values.
- We have been presented two awards for our contributions to support local businesses in Central Oregon.
- We support our local high school life skills program by providing opportunities for students to work at Ruffwear.
- We work with Abilitree, an organization dedicated to growing abilities and independence for people with disabilities, by providing jobs for people with disabilities.
- We put our boots on the ground in our own backyard to preserve and protect open spaces by doing trail work and removing invasive species with the Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, Central Oregon Trail Alliance, and Oregon Natural Desert Association
- In 2015 and 2016, we will be partnering with Best Friends Animal Society, a pioneer in animal welfare, as we work to raise awareness of and promote dog adoption.
We are proud of the products that we create, the adventures that they encourage, and the positive ripple effect that our success has manifested. We could not do any of this without you, our customer. Thank you for choosing our products to support your canine and in turn supporting our efforts to do some good.