Without a doubt, kayaking with dogs has been a huge part of Ruffwear’s history. After 16 years, a few of us here still love to paddle out onto the Deschutes River, canines in tow. For even the novice Kayaker, what better way to spend time with your water dog than through a new found passion for the paddle?
If you’re considering making your dog first mate on your next river run or ocean paddle, here are some basic tips to get you started as you introduce your paddle to your puddle lover, one step at a time.
What will I need?
– Your four-legged friend
– Kayak – sea, ocean, or river kayaks will do!
– PDF for both human and canine alike.
How do I get started?
Being that there are so many different types of kayaking, getting started with grace takes a little finesse. Whether your pup is hopping on board, swimming along side, or running the bank, here are some tips that will help you get started:
– Determine what type of Kayak you’ll be using. Typically, this is based off of the body of water you’re tackling, as well as your experience level. A recreational Kayak is likely the simplest way to get started as a beginner, while whitewater kayaking is great for the seasoned paddler.
– Get into the groove! In recreational Kayaks, your pup can comfortably sit in the ‘Cockpit’ for the perfect view. For those smaller playboats or whitewater kayaks, your dog may end up riding along on the spray skirt near the front, or even in back.
– Prepare to get wet and have fun. From push off in calm water, to slowly becoming a pro, you and your dog will learn to work with your new flow.
What type of experiences or stories have you gained from Kayaking with your dog?