Bee or wasp

Identified by: Red bump with possibility of allergic reaction which would cause the skin to be swollen or inflamed, or even cause breathing difficulties.  Most bee stings occur around the paws or muzzle.

Treatment: Remove the stinger by scraping it out with a fingernail or credit card (tweezers can insert more venom).  Clean the wound with a water/baking soda paste, and treat with appropriate medications (ask your vet what is best).  For allergic reactions, call your vet.  They may recommend an antihistamine.

Flea

Identified by: The jumping flea party your dog is hosting on its back, belly, neck, or tail.  Infestations most commonly occur around the dog’s rump.

Treatment: A flea bath is good start, but prevention is key, so find a topical treatment that suits your needs.

Mosquito

Identified by: Itchy, red, swollen spots on the skin.

Treatment: Remedy with anti-itch treatments such as milk of magnesia, calamine lotion, regular oatmeal, or hydrocortisone.

Snake

Identified by: Puncture wounds, bleeding, bruising, pain, and swelling, usually on the dog’s head or neck.  The shape of the bite can help determine if the snake is poisonous or not, but it’s best to get a good look at the offending party if possible. A clue for a non-venomous bite is teeth marks in the shape of a horseshoe.  Poisonous varieties make fang marks.

Treatment: If a poisonous snake has bitten your dog, try to restrict the dog’s movement to slow the spread of venom, and call a veterinarian immediately.

Spider

Identified by: Pain and swelling in the bitten area.  If your dog develops intense excitability, fever, weakness, or muscle and joint pains, seek veterinarian assistance, as a brown recluse or black widow may have bitten them.

Treatment: Luckily, most spiders in North America are not poisonous, but two exceptions are the black widow and the brown recluse.  If your dog has been sniffing in dark areas, wood piles, sheds, or a dog house, you may want to get it checked out by a vet, as this can be very serious.

Tick

Identified by: Itchy, red swollen spots on the skin.

Treatment: Remove the tick.  Prevention is key, so find a topical treatment that suits your needs.

Additional Resources:

http://www.webvet.com/main/2008/08/04/insect-bites-and-stings-dogs

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-health/insect_stings_and_snake_bites_in_dogs.htm

http://www.petassure.com/newsletters/021510newsletter/02152010Article2.html

Posted in New

5 thoughts

  1. My vet told me to have benadryl on hand to give for a wasp or bee sting. I live in a rural area and that is bacically what they will give the pet if you drive in with it to their office. As you stated take out the stinger. You can get a breakdown from your vet on the amount of benadryl you can give per size of the animal. Your vet will also furnish a list of other “people” medications you can give for other things and the amounts per the size of the animal.

    1. I agree with the Benadryl, pets weight divided by two,equal MG Dosage. Example: 50LBS/2 = 25mg. Cooper has a first aid kit we throw in the vehicle when out and about in Penns woods. Ticks are the biggest threat,as they (deer ticks) carry Lymes. I have used Frontline since he was young and he was just diagnosed with Lymes 2 weeks ago.Nothing is a sure thing.
      Ruff…Ruff..Ruffwear!

    2. Thanks for the benadryl advise. I use topical cream for my dog Tilley for most biting insects, especially for ticks. Okanagan Valley is extreme tick country. However, Tilley likes to catch bees and is very good at it. She has been stung in her mouth. We haven’t had much trouble, but benadryl is now in our first aid kit for Tilley.

Comments are closed.