chokingAs the temperature cools, many of our canines will spend more time indoors than they do in the summer months, with less activity outdoors. Some dogs slip into a state of boredom indoors, which can lead to chewing and digesting of items that can cause chocking and obstruction. The most common items removed from a dog’s digestive tract are items that are left within their reach.

The Safe Dog Handbook outlines some of the most common items removed by vets, and a good reminder of what to keep out of reach of our dogs:

• Baby bottle nipples and pacifiers
• Balls (racquetballs, handballs, golf balls, and rubber “superballs”)
• Bones and bone shards (cooked and uncooked)
• Buttons
• Candy wrappers and food wrappers
• Chewed-off pieces of dog toys
• Clothing (socks, underwear, and pantyhose)
• Coins
• Corn cobs and silks
• Diapers
• Electronics (cell phones, MP3 players, remote controls)
• Fishhooks (ouch!)
• Game pieces
• Jewelry
• Marbles, jacks, and small toys
• Office supplies (safety pins, paper clips, needles, and tacks)
• Rawhide and pig’s ears
• Refrigerator magnets
• Rocks
• Sanitary supplies
• Sewing and craft supplies
• Shoelaces
• Sponges
• Squeakers from plush toys
• Sticks
• String (meat-wrapping string, yarn, dental floss, ribbon)

Bark at us: Have you ever had any of these, or other items, removed from your dog?

This information courtesy of:

Monteiro, Melanie. The Safe Dog Handbook. Beverly: Quayside Publishing Group, 2009

Leave a Reply