Memorial weekend marks the beginning of a new season—beach-going season! What better way to kick off the unofficial start to summer than to grab your water-loving canine and head to some of the best dog-friendly beaches in the US?
Here are ten dog-friendly beach suggestions courtesy of America’s Best online:
- Fort DeSoto Beach, FL – Voted 2005’s “Best Beach in America,” this dog-friendly beach is the perfect beach for dogs and people.
- Huntington Dog Beach, CA – This popular California beach is so loved by canines, it may occasionally flaunt more dogs than people!
- St. George Island, FL – Located near the renowned historic towns of the Florida Gulf, there is lots of activity for both dog and owner (dogs allowed on-leash only, and not allowed at St. George Island State Park).
- Carmel City Beach, CA – Only a short walk to Carmel hotels and restaurants, there are plenty of pet friendly beaches close by to choose from.
- Cape San Blas, FL – Peaceful and underdeveloped, you can sometimes walk a mile or two during the off-season without seeing another dog—or person.
- Hunting Island, SC – Doggie heaven. At low tide, the beach appears to be a mile wide, sporting tidal pools and remote stretches of beach (dogs allowed on-leash only through trails and beaches).
- Fort Funston State Park, CA – In this popular San Francisco dog walking location, you’ll see scores of dripping wet dogs, romping across the sand alongside the ocean stretch.
- Pistol River State Scenic Viewpoint, OR – This windsurfers’ paradise will suit your wet-nosed companion just fine (some areas require leashes or voice control; check signs before entering).
- Ft. Fisher State Recreation Area, NC – Just outside of Wilmington, NC, this beach allows dogs in most all of its areas (dogs allowed on-leash in all areas except swimming areas).
- Jekyll Island, GA – The Caribbean-style beaches are loved by beach goers everywhere; the fact canines are welcome is just a bonus (dogs required to be on-leash).
Have we missed any great beaches? Help other pack members and their dogs find the best beaches. Share your favorite dog-friendly beaches here.